Wednesday, October 10, 2012

First NATIONAL Adventure

This past weekend I attended my first National Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo! About 10,000 nutrition professionals attended. There were a dozens of people in the top of our field discussing new techniques, research, and participating in debates! Plus a HUGE expo was there with food companies giving away samples of new foods and recipes.

 I must say the experience has changed me, especially being at the opening ceremony. The crowd was huge and full of professionals I someday hope to be like. I felt humbled, exhilarated, confident, proud, anxious for the future...and yes a little smarter haha. It has definitely given me the motivation to keep fighting for my goals an not backing down, I'm hoping to keep up the momentum!
The president Dr. Ethan Berghman, Kathleen Niedert who received the Copher Award (the most prestigious award the Academy has), and insane-running-man Dean Karazes all spoke. I'll share just the best things I heard and learned:

(Paraphrasing Kathleens words of wisdom about 3 rules to live by.)
1. If you don't go after what you want you'll never get it.
2. If you don't ask- the answer will always be no.
3. If you don't step forward you'll always be in the same place.

The strange body of Dean Karazes
He's consumed 28,000 calories while running 200 miles in 48 hours...but still lost 4 pounds after burning 34,000 calories!
His run across America to visit schools in order to encourage kids to be active. A mantra became "No child left on his behind!"


"Live like you mean it."


Kids have to want to change, they need role models, education, and most importantly inspiration. The opening was just the very beginning of an amazing weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment