Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Greek Yogurt Tarts

                                                                                                                "Green Lantern" Themed Tart!

These are  the easiest and tastiest tarts I have made. Granted these are the only tarts I've made. I went to the store wanting to make something new and tarts are adorable. Then I thought "What is even in a tart Rachel?"

Frankly I still have no idea how to make a "real" tart. Nor do I want to.

The goal was to make something that tasted good with limited fat. So instead of cream cheese it made sense to grab Greek yogurt which is high in protein and has zero fat. It has the right thickness and adds the tartness desired. Next to sweeten it up I grabbed a tub of cool whip (why not?). Finally mascarpone cheese. A sweet french cheese often found in desserts. The cheese if you opted for fat free cool whip is the only part of the filling adding fat.


All you need to do is combine the filling in a bowl. Don't even bother thawing the cool whip. Use HALF the container of cheese. To fill the tart shells add the filling to a ziploc bag, cut off the corner and squeeze away. This amount filled 18 shells for me.

After that add fruit. Which between cutting and given my tendency to obsess over detail took the longest time. This whole recipe is easy and fun.

Based off of the 18 servings per recipe each tart is around 120 calories (NOT counting fruit as it will vary. The kiwi for example added 20 calories). Most of the fat coming from the cheese and the tart.

The beloved grocery store chain in my area sells tarts which are 210 calories. 120 from fat.

Take that pre-made super expensive tarts! Plus mine were super hero themed...which is so much cooler than those fancy tarts you have to offer. HAHA

Tip to try: Add some vanilla to make them even better.

(Note the calories for my recipes are estimated based off of the containers and may vary slightly)


No comments:

Post a Comment